Everyone wishes to flaunt perfect teeth when they smile. After all, a perfect smile helps form great first impressions. But only a rare few are blessed with them.
Most people either lose their original tooth color or have gapped, crooked teeth which prevent them from smiling freely.
But thanks to cosmetic dentistry, we now have several procedures to get a beautiful smile if we aren’t born with one.
And the most popular cosmetic dentistry procedure so far is dental veneers. They are the secret behind all those Hollywood smiles you see on celebrities.
Dr. Aamir Budhani, who provides porcelain veneers in Arlington, Tx joined us to talk all about porcelain veneers and how long they last.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Veneers are wafer-thin shells that are applied to the front of the teeth to enhance their appearance. These casings are tooth-colored and can be custom-made in your natural tooth color to help them blend with the rest of your teeth.
Veneers can be used for a variety of cosmetic issues such as
● Gapped teeth
● Broken teeth
● Chipped or cracked teeth
● Discolored teeth
● Misshaped or unevenly sized teeth
The procedure is usually completed within 1-2 sittings and is non-invasive too. First, the dentist shaves down some of the enamel to make room for the veneers.
Then he takes a mold of your teeth to create the veneers.
Once the veneers are ready, they will be applied to your teeth using special bonding glue. And lastly, the dentist will do some polishing to get the desired shape.
Are Porcelain Veneers A Permanent Solution?
Partly, yes. Porcelain veneers are permanent in the sense the process is irreversible. The dentist has to shave down some enamel to attach them so you simply cannot take them off.
But porcelain is a strong and durable material, much stronger than your natural teeth as well. And unlike your natural teeth, it is prone to staining as well.
So your porcelain veneers will last you a really long time. You will eventually have to replace them sometime in the future as they are not completely indestructible either.
They can break and get chipped due to wear and tear. But on average, the lifespan of porcelain veneers is 10-15 years. And if you take good care of them, they can last up to 20 years or maybe even longer.
So while porcelain veneers are not a lifelong solution, they are definitely more long-lasting than composite resin veneers.
So if you are looking to get aesthetic yet natural-looking teeth quickly, they are the best solution.
How To Make Your Porcelain Veneers.
With proper care, some people never have the need to replace their porcelain veneers. So here are some tips to help make your veneers last a long time.
- Brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once to keep your teeth clean.
- If you are prone to grinding your teeth in sleep or when stressed, wear a mouthguard to prevent your veneers from getting chipped.
- Avoid chewing hard food items like ice as they can break your porcelain veneers. Also, refrain from using your teeth as a tool to open bottles if you want your veneers to last long.
- If you play outdoor sports, wear a mouthguard to protect your veneers from any potential injuries that could damage them.
- Get a dental checkup twice a year so that your dentist can spot any potential issues that could damage your veneers in the future.