- Blackheads are a mild form of acne that appears on the skin when the hair follicles are clogged.
- The hair follicles can get clogged with excess oil, dead skin, and bacteria.
- Blackheads often occur on oily or combination skin.
- To prevent blackheads, you need to use an anti-acne cleanser and exfoliate regularly.
- Regular exfoliation can help to get rid of blackheads.
- In the case of emergencies, you can quickly remove blackheads on the nose with white toothpaste.
- The toothpaste ingredients draw out excess oil, which helps to decongest the pores.
- The loosened blackheads can then be removed easily with gentle exfoliation.
Why Do We Get Blackheads?
Blackheads are a mild form of acne that most people get on their noses. They appear on the skin when the hair follicles are clogged with excess oil, dead skin, and bacteria.
The congestion oxidizes when exposed to the air and turns black. This is why the clogged follicle appears as a raised black spike on the skin, leading to the term blackhead.
By cleaning and exfoliating your skin regularly, you can prevent blackheads to some extent. However, in the case of a blackhead emergency, knowing how to get rid of blackheads on the nose with toothpaste comes in handy. Here is how to go about it.
Step-by-Step Guide to Remove Blackheads with Toothpaste
While using toothpaste on blackheads is something you shouldn’t do every day, this is a trick that can give you instant results during emergencies.
Toothpaste contains ingredients that remove excess oil from the skin, helping the blackhead heal faster. Here is how you can try out this home remedy for clear skin.
- Choose the Right Toothpaste: The efficiency of this skincare hack largely depends on choosing the right toothpaste for blackheads. Stay away from the gel toothpaste and the colored ones. Go for the most basic white toothpaste with minimal flavor and color added to it. This will ensure that the toothpaste has the right concentration of acne-healing ingredients and minimizes the risk of allergic reactions.
- Prep Your Skin: Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and warm water. Gently pat dry your skin. Make sure that there are no cuts, wounds, or rashes on or around your nose. Then proceed to the next step.
- Prepare and Apply Your Toothpaste Mask: Apply an even layer of plain white toothpaste on your nose. You can even mix equal parts of salt and toothpaste and use that mixture instead. After applying the mask to your nose, leave it on for 5-10 minutes. The toothpaste will draw out excess oil from your pores and will reduce the appearance of blackheads.
- Rinse and Moisturize: After 5-10 minutes, wet the dried-up toothpaste with warm water and gently remove it in circular motions with your fingers. You can even use a damp washcloth to massage your skin and remove the mask. This step will lightly exfoliate your skin. Wash off any residue of the toothpaste from your nose and apply a mild moisturizer.
After masking with the toothpaste and gentle exfoliation in the last step, your skin will look clearer and smoother. This is a quick way to get clear skin naturally at home with affordable ingredients.
Tips on How to Remove Blackheads with Toothpaste More Effectively
- Steam Your Skin Beforehand – To further improve the effectiveness of using toothpaste on blackheads, steam your skin beforehand to loosen the trapped dirt. Steam helps to open up the pores, which makes it easier for the toothpaste to suck out the excess oil.
- Use Baking Soda and Toothpaste – Some tips on how to get rid of blackheads on the nose with toothpaste also mention baking soda. Baking soda is a powerful exfoliant that doubles the potency of the toothpaste trick. Mix one part baking soda with one part toothpaste for this DIY skincare recipe. However, be careful not to use this on sensitive skin or too often as baking soda is a strong ingredient.
- Use A Toner or Ice Afterward – If you steam and exfoliate your face with this toothpaste trick, your pores will be unclogged afterward. To prevent them from getting clogged again, you need to shrink the enlarged pores. For this, you can use a cooling toner or an ice cube wrapped in a washcloth to calm your skin. Then apply a moisturizer to soften and protect your skin.
Other Tips to Prevent Blackheads on Nose
Removing blackheads with toothpaste is not something you should do. Here are some tips that can help you prevent blackheads in the first place.
- Use Anti-Acne Cleansers – If you have oily and acne-prone skin, use anti-acne cleansers twice a day to keep excess sebum at bay. Salicylic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide are two ingredients that you should look for in your face wash. Studies have found both these ingredients to be effective against acne. Either of these in a cleanser can prevent congested pores and blackheads.
- Switch to Oil-Free Skincare – Oil-free skincare products are the best way to get glowing skin naturally if you have acne-prone skin. Oily and acne-prone skin tends to produce excess sebum, which leads to congestions and blackheads. Using moisturizers and creams with oils further enhances the oiliness of the skin. Instead, choose gel-based moisturizers that offer hydration to the skin without being oily.
- Exfoliate Once a Week – Weekly exfoliation is one of the best ways to get rid of blackheads. You can use chemical exfoliants with Salicylic Acid or physical scrubs with rounded particles to get rid of congestions on the skin. Always follow up with a moisturizer and use sunscreen the next day to protect your skin.
FAQs About At-Home Blackhead Removal with A Toothpaste
Is it safe to use toothpaste to remove blackheads?
According to studies, some people can be allergic to certain toothpaste ingredients. Also, excessive use of toothpaste on the skin can lead to dryness. It is best to reserve this method for emergency use only. Infrequent use of toothpaste on blackheads should be safe unless you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
What does toothpaste do to blackheads?
Toothpaste contains ingredients that absorb excess oil from the skin. It can help to decongest the clogged pores and loosen the blackheads. Using toothpaste is a method on how to remove blackheads from the nose instantly.
How do you get rid of blackheads with a toothbrush?
Use a soft toothbrush to remove the toothpaste mask after leaving it on your nose for 5-10 minutes. Make sure to dampen the toothpaste before this step. The bristles of the toothbrush will exfoliate your skin and remove the loosened blackheads.
Blackheads are a prevalent and unflattering form of acne that a lot of us suffer from. They can sprout up quickly and take a long time to go away unless you tackle them with the right skincare.
But if you know how to get rid of blackheads on the nose with toothpaste, you can remove them within minutes for clear and smooth skin.
While nothing can replace a consistent skincare routine for oily skin, home remedies to remove blackheads can help you during urgent situations.
You can use this trick once in a while and follow an effective skincare regimen to prevent blackheads in the first place. Make sure to take extra care of your skin after using this skincare trick, and don’t skip on the moisturizer and sunscreen!
So, if you have to look your presentable best and blackheads are ruining your look, try this tip. During a skincare emergency, good old toothpaste can sometimes be your best friend!
Fredrick Little is a freelance healthcare blogger and copywriter. He is currently a student of biology and biomedical engineering attending North Carolina A&T. He has a passion for fitness inspired by his own 100+ pound weight loss journey. Fredrick wants to make the world a better place, one post at a time