A hair transplant is a procedure that is quite easy to recover from. It is because no surgery is needed in this type of treatment, meaning you will not need a lot of time to heal. But it is still important for you to follow the right after-care routine to make sure that your procedure is successful. You can even go back to your regular activities in 4 to 7 days after a hair transplant. However, it is good to give yourself more time so that your hair can look more natural though medically it is not needed.
- Why is Your Sleeping Position Important after a Hair Transplant?
- Use Clean Pillowcases and Sheets ONLY
- Place a soft but dark towel OR sheet on your pillows
- Always keep your head and back slightly up while sleeping
- DO NOT sleep on the abdomen
- Do not hit your scalp on the headboard
- Maintaining a healthy as well as regular sleep pattern is essential
- Try to go back to your usual sleeping habits
- Do’s and don’ts of a hair transplant
- How do you sleep after a FUT transplant?
- Frequently Asked Questions
After the transplant, many patients just like you have one common question – how to sleep after a hair transplant? So, let us answer this simple yet critical question but before that check out the following:
Why is Your Sleeping Position Important after a Hair Transplant?
Right after a hair transplant, your scalp and the hair grafts become quite delicate. Hence, you should avoid disturbing or putting any sort of pressure on the new grafts as this can have adverse effects on your recovery as well as the final results. Therefore, sleeping in the correct position is essential as it will help you heal faster and keep your hair grafts undamaged.
Now, check out the following to know more about the ways you can sleep after transplant hair:
Use Clean Pillowcases and Sheets ONLY
To prevent any infection and ensure a comfortable sleep, you must use neat and clean pillowcases and sheets ONLY. You can ask your dermatologist or surgeon about the type of fabric of pillowcases and sheets you can use so that your scalp does not inflame or irritate.
Place a soft but dark towel OR sheet on your pillows
Right after the procedure, some leakage is quite common from your scalp. Do not fret! Just keep a soft yet dark towel or a sheet on your pillows/pillowcases to avoid staining. With this simple trick, you can rest without worrying about the staining.
Always keep your head and back slightly up while sleeping
Keep your head and back slightly up by using extra pillows while sleeping in the clinic after the procedure. As per the skincare and hair experts and dermatologists, keeping your body at the 45-degree angle is the best way to sleep for the first 4-5 days. It is because with this position you can control the post-surgical swelling and speed up the healing.
DO NOT sleep on the abdomen
Many people find sleeping on their tummy quite relaxing. But it can increase swelling if you have recently done a hair transplant. So, avoid sleeping in this position for the next few days after a hair transplant. Or you can simply ask your dermatologist about the best sleeping position to get better and desired results.
Do not hit your scalp on the headboard
This will have a drastically negative impact on the healing process after the procedure. Therefore, always place a soft pillow between the headboard and your head. This small but essential precaution can make a great difference.
Maintaining a healthy as well as regular sleep pattern is essential
What is the easiest way to recover quickly after the procedure? Well, getting 7-8 hours of sleep every day will help you restore your energy to fasten the healing process. So, be sure to get a good sleep every night after the hair transplant for the next few weeks.
Try to go back to your usual sleeping habits
By the end of 9-10 days of the procedure, you can gradually return to your day-to-day physical activities along with typical sleeping habits and hair wash routine. After giving this much time, your scalp and the hair grafts will sufficiently be cured. However, keep one point in mind – this ‘healing’ duration may vary from one person to another, you must consult with your surgeon and follow the routine suggested by a reputable hair transplant Scottsdale clinic.
Do’s and don’ts of a hair transplant
Here are some do’s and don’ts after a hair transplant surgery you need to follow:
- DO sleep with keeping your head and back slightly elevated i.e. 45-degree for the first 8-10 days or as long as you experience discomfort or swelling
- DO ask your doctor/surgeon which medication you should take after the procedure
- DO apply ice cubes on your eyebrows to prevent or reduce swelling
- DO be ‘EXCESSIVELY’ gentle with your hair while washing for at least the first 6-7 days.
- DO use a small mug or cup to clean the scalp
- DO apply mild shampoo and conditioner (as suggested by your surgeon) to relieve itching and pain
- DO hydrate well before, during as well as after the surgery
- DON’T sleep on your tummy
- DON’T be alarmed/panicked if you experience pain or swelling after the surgery
- DON’T apply ice packs directly on the affected/transplanted area
- DON’T wash hair at least for the first 2 days
- DON’T use anything to scratch your scalp if you experience itchiness
- DON’T tie anything on your head or wear ball caps or hats for at least 3-4 days
- DON’T allow your scalp to come in the direct exposure of the sunlight for at least 2-3 weeks
- DON’T do heavy exercises after the surgery for a few days or weeks
- DON’T engage in activities that can cause heavy sweating
- DON’T smoke and consume alcohol after hair transplant for at least a month
How do you sleep after a FUT transplant?
Right after the procedure, your scalp and the hair grafts are more sensitive. So, you should not disturb the ‘freshly’ transplanted grafts as this can adversely affect the recovery and the end results. So, sleeping correctly after the FUT or any other hair transplant procedure can help you recover fast yet well and prevent any damages.
And to sleep after a hair transplant, you should do the following:
- Use neat and clean pillow covers and sheets
- Keep a gentle and dark towel/sheet over the cushions
- Keep your head and back slightly elevated
- Avoid sleeping on your tummy
- Do not hit your head on the bed’s headboard
- Sleep at least 7-8 hours
In case, you notice anything or something unusual, then it is good to consult with your dermatologist or surgeon immediately.
So, these are a few but crucial tips to know how to sleep after a hair transplant. But you should consult with your surgeon to understand every routine to follow after the procedure to speed up the recovery.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some of the frequently asked questions about hair transplant and after-care routine have been answered here:
✅How many days after a hair transplant can I sleep normally?
It is believed that most people can easily get back to their typical routine i.e. sleeping position and habits, physical activities, hair care, etc. within or after 10 days of the hair restoration. But still, it is suggested to follow your surgeon’s instructions to fasten the healing.
✅Do hair transplants look natural?
Yes, it can completely look natural as long as you choose the right surgeon and follow the best after-care routine. Being concerned about the conspicuousness of the success of the procedure but when you have a qualified, experienced, and talented surgeon by your side, you can expect to get the best yet desired outcomes. Simply put, you must look for a credible yet certified physician having years of experience in surgical hair transplants to get those natural-looking locks.
✅Are hair transplants painful?
Before the procedure, the surgeon will use a local anesthesia to numb your scalp. It is done so that you cannot feel any sort of pain during the procedure. This makes a hair transplant a comfortable and pain-free process for most people. But some of them become extremely nervous about the potential pain. If this is the case with you, then you should only go with a good and professional surgeon as they will make every possible effort to keep you as calm and composed as possible.
Contribute By Dr. Titoria Clinics
I am Kate, a dedicated health advocate. My purpose is to educate you regarding the most current wellness trends, offer science-backed insights to enhance your understanding, and present actionable tips to support you on your journey towards a healthier and happier life. Let us commence this wellness path together!